Gulapalyamu-Khadarpet Double Railway Tracks
Gulapalyamu-Khadarpet Double Railway Lines (part of Guntakal-Kalluru Doubling Project) and Guntakal-Kalluru Electrification Project
- Guntakal-Kalluru section is an important by-pass rail line for a distance of 41 Kms connecting main Iine for trains from Delhi, Mumbai and Secunderabad towards Bengaluru.
- Guntakal-Kalluru section being a single line catering to long & short distance passenger trains and freight trams, faced severe congestion leading to loss of punctuality.
- This section was over-saturated and trains were running with more than section capacity by up to 124%.
- Hence, Doubling and Electrification of Guntakal-Kalluru Section was taken up as top priority and works were speeded up in the last 2 years to complete within target time.
- The doubling project of Guntakal- Kalluru was sanctioned in 2015-16 for a distance of 41 kms with an estimated cost of Rs 323 Crore.
- The electrification project of the section is also sanctioned in the same year with an estimated cost of Rs. 33 Crore.
- The expenditure incurred on this project from 2016-17 to till date is Rs. 210 Crore.
- Doubling of Gulapalayamu to Khaderpet section for a distance of 23 kms. was completed and commissioned m September 2018.
- Electrification of single line between Guntakal-Kalluru was completed in November 2018.
- Doubling and Electrification of the balance stretches between Guntakal-Gulapalyamu and Khadarpet-Kalluru is targeted to complete during the current financial year.
Benefits of the Project
- Serves as an alternate route for Guntakal- Gooty section which is over-saturated.
- Provides seamless transport towards Bengaluru
- Ease the congestion at Gooty Junction and freight movement towards Kadapa and Renigunta will be speeded up.
- Enables for running of more number of passenger trains in this route.