Guntur-Tenali Railway Line Doubling and Electrification in Andhra Pradesh
– A Project Critical to the fast Developing Belt
The Guntur-Tenali Railway line, a critical component of the rail link serving the three city belt of Guntur-Vijayawada-Tenali, the commercial hub of Andhra Pradesh, has seen a huge increase in rail traffic in the recent years. The increase in rail services in the section, diversion of several long distance trains running between Vijayawada and Tenali, to take a detour to New Guntur so as to offer connectivity to Guntur City and the gradual increase of train services in the Nadikudi-Guntur-Tenali-Vijayawada route is the reason for the same. Added to this, the freight traffic too from Guntur side towards Chennai and down South has increased enormously. With the future conveying a sure possibility of further increase in rail traffic on the Guntur-Tenali route, South Central Railway took up the project for doubling of railway track between Guntur-Tenali, simultaneously undertaking electrification of this section.
Highlights of the Guntur-Tenali Doubling and Electrification Project
• The length of this doubling project is for a distance of 24 kilometers.
• Rs. 40 Cr allotted for the year 2018-19.
• The expenditure incurred on this project till now is Rs. 167.34 Cr
• The expenditure incurred on this project during 2018-19 (till Nov) is Rs. 44.28 Cr.
• The doubling projects involve construction of 2 major bridges, 40 minor bridges. Construction of all the major and minor bridges is completed.
• Earthwork and Blanketingare completed.
• Track linking with Class-II Rails in Midsection completed.
• As a part of doubling between Guntur and Tenali, yard modifications at Guntur, Sangamjagarlamudi, Vejendla and Tenali are completed.
• At Vejendla, as part of doubling, new station building has been constructed, two new platforms are almost completed, the works for one Foot over Bridge and Cover over Platform are in fast progress.
• At Sangamjagarlamudi, construction of new station building is completed, reworking of platforms, one new Foot over Bridge and new Cover over Platform is in progress.Re-grading of Sangamjagarlamudi yard is under progress.
• Indoor works are in progress at Manipuram Cabin.
• Out of 2 LC Gates, one LC commissioned, and another LC is planned to be commissioned shortly.
• Entire work is targeted for completion by February 2019.
The expected benefits of the project are
1. Will substantially enhance the potential for running more number of passenger carrying and freight trains between Guntur-Tenali there by leading to the possibility of handling more rail services from Hyderabad/Nadikudi side towards Chennai and beyond down South.
2. The railway line will offer a huge boon to the local populous of the three sister cities of Vijayawada-Guntur-Tenali which come under one urban conglomeration, to travel short distance on local commuter services.
3. With the fast developing Amaravathi Capital area of Andhra Pradesh in the vicinity, the doubling and electrification of Guntur-Tenali section will enable provide enhanced rail connectivity to the area.
4. The enhanced connectivity will add strength to revenue generation of railways in terms of harnessing the potential of mineral rich Palnadu Region to transport its produce/goods to any part of the country.
5. The section enhances train handling capacity overall in the Guntur/Vijayawada region, with the possibility of diverting more trains via Guntur to balance the rail traffic as well as offer the citizens of Guntur, more train services.
6. With a good number of educational institutions, milk producing units and fruit farms in the section, the Guntur-Tenali rail route is expected to meet heavy patronage.