Ladies Quota Booking Rules | Ladies Quota in Sleeper Class
Section 58 of the Railways Act, 1989 provides for earmarking of accommodation for female passengers in trains. Accordingly, in trains carrying passengers, Indian Railways have earmarked following accommodation for female passengers:
- A reservation quota of six berths in sleeper class in long distance Mail / Express trains.
- A combined quota of four lower berths per coach in Sleeper class and two lower berths per coach in Air Conditioned 3 tier (3AC) and Air Conditioned 2 tier (2AC) classes for Senior citizens, Female passengers 45 years of age and above, and pregnant women.
- Second class accommodation for women in the second Class-cum-Luggage-cum Guard’s Coach (SLR) in most of the long distance trains.
- Unreserved coaches / compartments for female passengers in EMU (Electrical Multiple Unit)/DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) / MMTS(Multi Modal Transport System) trains & local passenger trains depending upon demand pattern as well as availability of accommodation.
- Running of ladies special EMU / MEMU / MMTS services on the suburban sections of Mumbai, Kolkata, Secunderabad and Chennai as well as on the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) sections.
Prevention of crime, registration of cases, their investigation in Railway premises as well as on running trains are the statutory responsibility of the State Police, which they discharge through Government Railway Police (GRP) of the State concerned. As such the cases of crime on Railways are reported to, registered and investigated by the Govt. Railway Police. However, RPF supplements the efforts of GRP by deploying their staff for escorting of important trains in affected areas and for access control duties at important and sensitive railway stations.
The following steps are taken by the Railways to improve safety and security of women passengers as under:-
- On vulnerable and identified routes/ sections, 2300 trains (on an average) are escorted by Railway Protection Force daily, in addition to 2200 trains escorted by Government Railway Police of different States daily.
- All the ladies special trains running in Metropolitan cities are being escorted by lady RPF constables.
- The ladies compartments in sub-urban local trains are being escorted by RPF and GRP during peak / non-peak hours. Staff deployment is made during late night and early morning sub-urban local trains to ensure proper security to the lady passengers.
- An All India Security Helpline 182 has been operational to enable passengers to seek security related assistance round the clock.
- An Integrated Security System consisting of electronic surveillance of vulnerable stations through Close Circuit Television Camera Network, access control, Anti-sabotage checks have been sanctioned to strengthen surveillance mechanism over 202 sensitive Railway stations.
- RPF holds regular coordination meetings with State Police at all levels to ensure proper registration and investigation of crime by Government Railway Police (GRP).
Policing on Railways is a State subject and the Government Railway Police of the concerned State register the cases of crime against women. The details of the rape, molestation & assault cases on women filed by GRP during the years 2014 and 2015 is appended.
CCTV cameras have been installed in main line coaches in one coach each in the following trains on trial basis:-
- 12625/ 12626, Kerala Express
- 16179/ 16180 Mannai Express
- 16713/ 16714 Rameshwaram Express.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways Shri Manoj Sinha in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha on 24.02.2016 (Wednesday).
Source : PIB