Proof of identity of Passengers journey by Train
Railway ID Proof List | ID Proof for Railway Passengers | IRCTC E Ticket ID Proof Rules | ID Proof for Railway Ticket
Carrying of proof of identity during journey
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
No. 2011/ TG –I / 20 / P / ID-efile
New Delhi, Dated 16.11.2021
Principal Chief Commercial Managers,
All Zonal Railways
(Commercial Circular No. 13 of 2021)
Sub: Carrying of proof of identity during journey.
Ref: This office letter no. 2001/ TG-V / 11 /31 (CC No. 01 of 2016) & No. 2011 /TG-I / 20 /P / ID dated 28.06.2018 (CC No. 33 of 2018).
As per extant instructions, while undertaking journey in reserved class in a train, one of the passengers booked on a ticket is required to produce one of the prescribed proofs of identity in original failing which all the passengers are treated as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly. Further, Indian Railways have extended facility of concession in fare and earmarking of reservation quota for different categories of passengers. The passengers availing this concession or booking accommodation under reservation quota earmarked for specific categories of passengers, are required to produce the proof of identity to confirm their eligibility to avail the concession / to book under specific quota e.g. (i) Divyangjans have to produce the valid concession certificate during the journey to book concessional ticket and / or to book ticket under quota earmarked for them. (II) Pregnant women travelling under senior citizen quota are required to produce certificate of registered doctor, (iii) Senior citizens booking ticket under senior citizen quota are required to produce the certificate to confirm their age, etc.
1.1 In addition, there is a provision that children below the age of 5 years can travel free in the train and those aged between 5 and 12 can book ticket on payment of 50% of the fare in case they do not want to avail the facility of reserved berth. At times, doubt arises about the age of the children upto the age of 12, however, in the absence of any document it is difficult to establish the genuineness of the claim about their age.
2. The matter has been examined in this office and it has been decided as under:-
i. While undertaking journey in reserved class of the train, one of the passengers has to produce one of the prescribed proofs of identity (in original) failing which all the passengers will be treated as travelling without ticket.
ii. Any passenger availing concession or booking ticket under the quota earmarked for specific category of passengers will be required to produce a valid proof to establish his / her genuineness and the claim for the facility of concession / reservation quota availed.
3. Necessary instructions may be issued to all concerned accordingly.
Joint Director Passenger Marketing
Acceptance of digital Aadhaar and Driving Licence from Digital Locker as proof of identity of passengers for undertaking journey by train.
New Rules Proof of Identity For Reserved Class of Indian Railways
Acceptance of digital Aadhaar and Driving Licence from Digital Locker as proof of identity of passengers for undertaking journey by Train
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, Dated: 28.06.2018
The Principal Chief Commercial Managers,
All Zonal Railways.
(COMMERCIAL CIRCULAR NO. 33 OF 2018)
Sub: Acceptance of digital Aadhaar and Driving Licence from Digital Locker as proof of identity of passengers for undertaking journey by Train.
At present, the following proofs of identity are considered as valid for undertaking journey in any reserved class of Indian Railways:-
- Voter Photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department.
- Driving Licence issued by RTO.
- Photo identity card having serial number issued by Central/State Government.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/ College for their students.
- Nationalised Bank Passbook with photograph.
- Credit Cards issued by Batiks with laminated photograph.
- Unique Identification Card -Aadhaar, m-Aadhaar & e-Aadhaar.(x) Photo identity cards having serial number issued by Public Sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations
- In case of reserved tickets booked through computerised Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters, for undertaking journey in Sleeper (SL) & Second Reserved Sitting (2S) classes, attested photocopy of Ration Card with photographs and Nationalized Bank Passbook with photograph are also accepted.
2. The issue regarding accepting Aadhaar and Driving Licence as valid proof of identity when presented from digital locker account of the passenger has been examined and it has been decided that while undertaking journey in a train, if a passenger shows the Aadhaar/Driving Licence from the ‘Issued Documents’ section by logging into his/her DigiLocker account, the same should be considered as valid proof of identity. It is, however, clarified that the documents uploaded by the user himself/herself (i.e. the documents in ‘Uploaded Documents’ section) will not be considered as a valid proof of identity.
3. Necessary instructions may be issued to all concerned to avoid inconvenience to the passengers. Wide publicity through all possible means should be given to this revised provision for information of general public.
Jt. Director Passenger Marketing