IRCTC Child Ticket Rules | Child Train Ticket Rules
Ministry of Railways
- No change in the rule related to booking of tickets for Children travelling in train
- It is optional for passengers to buy ticket & book berth for children below 5 years
- Free travel is allowed for children below 5 years, if no berth is booked
Posted On: 17 AUG 2022 2:02 PM by PIB Delhi
There have been some recent media reports that claim that Indian Railways has changed the rule with regards to booking of tickets for Children travelling in the train. These reports claim that now children between the age of one to four years will have to get a ticket for traveling in the train.
These news items and media reports are misleading. It is informed that Indian Railways has not introduced any changes with regards to booking of tickets for children travelling in the train. On the demand of the passengers, an option has been given to them to buy a ticket and book a berth for their under 5 year old child if they want. And if they don’t want a separate berth, then it is free, same like it used to be earlier.
A Circular dated 06.03.2020 of Ministry of Railways states that Children under five years of age shall be carried free. However, separate berth or seat(in chair car) shall not be given. Therefore purchase of any ticket is not required provided separate berth is not claimed. However, if berth / seat shall be sought on voluntary basis for children of age below 5 years then full adult fare shall be charged.
Train Fare For Child Below 12 Years
Child Train Ticket Rule
- Children under the age of 5 are free on all types of trains. If the child’s age fee is more than half of the adult fee (5 to 12 years), you are asking for a dedicated berth, in which case the full adult fee must be paid and this only applies to the reserved class.
- There is no change in the rule for child fare of unreserved tickets i.e. fare for children of 5-12 years for unreserved tickets shall continue to be half of the adult fare subject to the minimum distance for charging.
Ministry of Railways has decided to revise the child fare rule. Under the revised provision, full adult fare will be charged for children of age 5 years and under 12 years of age if for whom full separate berth / seat (in reserved class) is sought at the time of reservation. However, in case full separate berth / seat is not sought for the children of age 5 years and under 12 years of age at the time of reservation, then half of the adult fare shall continue to be charged subject to the minimum distance for charging.
This revised child fare rule has been made applicable for travel from 21st April, 2016 onwards. Advance booking of reserved tickets for children under this revised rule has already started in December 2015 for journey date of 21st April, 2016 onwards.
While filling up reservation form, the passenger can indicate their option for requirement of full berth / seat for child or not.
There is no change in the rule for child fare of unreserved tickets i.e. fare for children of 5-12 years for unreserved tickets shall continue to be half of the adult fare subject to the minimum distance for charging.
Children under five years of age will continue to be carried free (without berth) in case of both reserved and unreserved classes.